Introduction to Azure DevOps and Its Work Process
DevOps is the combination of philosophies, tools, and practices that empower fast deployment and development of consumer and enterprise applications. DevOps started with cloud computing that made it easy to inexpensively and quickly allocate resources. Under the DevOps, Cloud maximizes the innovations by joining testing, deployment and development tools in the cloud. Traditional IT is not providing the adaptability that the cloud brings to the table while delivering applications that should be deployed quicker and examined through the life cycle of development. DevOps merges and combines the team of IT Ops and the team of developers together to work intently in the lifecycle of the application. They share their abilities and included from improvement, through testing into the application deployment. Security groups and Quality Assurance also tightly work and incorporated with the team of DevOps.
DevOps group utilizes practices to computerize all the processes of operations and development. In DevOps, the innovation tooling and stack are reliable and evolve rapidly and encourages engineers to achieve tasks rapidly, for instance, code continuous deployment from GitHub or cloud infrastructure provisioning for the deployment of the application. Typically these would have required assistance from other groups however as DevOps incorporate these into a solitary unit this builds advancement speed.
The services of Azure DevOps has been around since 2013, with the name of Visual Studio Online, after some time it was known as Visual Studio Team Services, and in the end, in September 2018, renamed as Azure DevOps Services. We frequently consider DevOps a piece of the procedure, Azure DevOps also gives customizable and rich dashboards that can give knowledge to the wider task group, staying up with the latest on the work in progress and enabling them to concentrate on the main thing so as to deliver great features.
The platform of Azure is full of adaptable DevOps work processes. Microsoft gives the below services for DevOps in their platform of Azure cloud.
- Team Services for Visual Studio: Services for the teams to track work, share code, and ship software.
- Visual Studio: Microsoft’s integrated development environment.
- HockeyApp: Gather feedback, Deploy mobile applications, monitor usage, and crash reports.
- Mobile Center for Visual Studio: Your mobile application’s mission control.
- Xamarin in Azure: It is a system that empowers fast testing and development of mobile applications in the cloud, from a single codebase it can deploy to various platforms and also the test cloud of xamarin can test your apps in real gadgets in the cloud.
In addition, the cloud platform of Microsoft Azure supports third-party tools like Redhat, Spinnaker, Chef, Jenkins, and Terraform.
Terminologies of Azure DevOps
- Continuous Integration
Continuous Integration (CI) is the way toward mechanizing the build and testing of code each time a team member submits changes to version control. Continuous Integration keeps clean the master branch and makes an advancement branch. After testing is finished and accepted the pull request at that point changes are focused on the master branch.
- Consistent Delivery
Continuous Delivery (CD) is the procedure to test, build, deploy and configure from a build to the environment of production.
- Infrastructure as Code
Infrastructure as Code is the infrastructure management (virtual machines, networks, connection topology, and load balancers) in an expressive model, utilizing the equivalent forming as DevOps group utilizes for source code. Infrastructure as Code empowers DevOps groups to test applications production-like environments right off the bat in the development cycle.
Micro-services are designed patterns in which applications are isolated into littler parts and deployed to achieve explicit business logic. They interconnect over the web using REST APIs.
The Life-cycle of Azure DevOps
Coding, Testing, and Debugging - During the stage of application development, the Azure applications code is most normally built locally on a designer's machine. Microsoft has currently added more facilities to Azure Apps called Azure Functions. The function of azure has a serverless processing feature that empowers an engineer to construct enterprise applications without maintaining infrastructure and writing codes.
Git and Visual Studio Team Services are two famous tools for code collaboration for Monitor and Deploy.
The Service of Azure App for DevOps offers below deployment slots for Continuous deployment and integration of your codebase.
- Local Git repository
- Visual Studio Team Services
If your code is hosted in public GitHub and open source, you can utilize Continuous Integration instruments like Circle CI or Travis CI for code deployment and testing. The App Service of Azure delivers Application Insight for observing your application and a complete logging apparatus, crash reporting, and health check.
Azure DevOps Practice
- Visibility & Ownership (Outside-In) - The individual or team must ready to address the issue is answerable for it (the Owner). This may be a platform or development.
- Continuous Flow (Inside-Out) - Cooperation between the team of development utilizing apparatuses like visual studio group administrations and Git. Mechanized integration testing utilizing Travis CI or Jenkins. Continuous delivery utilizing tools like visual studio team services or GitHub.
- Culture - Build an environment that rejoices the complete aspects of DevOps
- Planning & Time Management - Automate all procedures and understanding the work center using time management tools and projects.
Azure DevOps engineer certification
To get Microsoft Certified: “Azure DevOps Engineer Expert” you have to complete one prerequisite, either Azure Administrator Associate or Azure Developer Associate and then pass an examination of Microsoft Azure DevOps Solutions.
Azure Administrator Associate
The administrators of Azure monitor, implement and maintain Microsoft Azure solutions, comprising key services related to storage, compute, security, and network.
Azure Developer Associate
The Developers of Microsoft Azure test, build, design, and maintain solutions for clouds, such as services and applications, partnering with cloud administrators, cloud DBAs, cloud solution architects, and the clients to implement these solutions.
Exam of Microsoft Azure DevOps Solutions (AZ-400)
This exam measures your DevOps strategy design skills and implements the below:
- Processes for DevOps development
- Application infrastructure
- Dependency management
- Continuous delivery, integration, and feedback.